Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Almost Like Thanksgiving" Soup

It's getting cooler outside, so I'm starting to look at my soup recipes again. And I couldn't be happier. I love to make soup. And this soup is particularly cozy and homey and awesome. My mom found this great soup cookbook last year from Cuisine At Home Magazine. I looked through it, found the recipes I wanted to try, and she photocopied them for me. Looking at the website, it looks like they seem to put out several different kinds of cookbooks on a yearly basis.

So I've made this soup once before and used all the called-for ingredients. This time, I thought I'd see if leaving out the turkey would make a huge difference. But I waited a little too long to make the recipe and found that my mushrooms had gone bad. So while I didn't miss the turkey, I did miss the mushrooms. Still a fabulous soup. So very satisfying. And a very good after Thanksgiving option.

"Almost Like Thanksgiving" Soup
A variation on the recipe from the 2008 Cuisine At Home Soups, Stews, & Chilies


Photobucket

Soup:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups leeks, sliced
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup sherry
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
(2 cups cooked turkey, cubed, if using)
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt to taste
Minced fresh parsley

Stuffing dumplings:
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups bread, diced, staled
2 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/4 chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste


To make soup: Sweat leeks, carrot, and celery in butter in large saucepan over medium heat until soft, 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high.

Add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle flour, thyme, nutmeg, and pepper over vegetables; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Deglaze with sherry, simmer until nearly evaporated, then stir in broth and cream (and turkey, if using). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes; season with salt. Garnish with parsley.

To make stuffing dumplings: Preheat oven to 425ºF; line a baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray.

Combine milk and eggs in a large bowl. Add bread and soak until nearly all liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally; set aside.

Sauté bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 minutes; drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Sauté onion and celery in drippings until soft, 3 minutes, then fold into bread mixture with reserved bacon and remaining ingredients. Form dumplings on prepared baking sheet using an ice cream scoop or spoon, squeezing out excess moisture if necessary. Bake until dumplings brown, 20 minutes, then serve in soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment