Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chipotle Black Bean Soft Tacos with Guacamole and Tortilla Chips

Jonathan wasn't crazy about these since he usually wants something with a little more "tooth" to it. But since I usually get vegetarian soft tacos when we go to Mexican fast food places, it was good for me.

I did end up using two cans of black beans rather than a mixture of black and kidney beans since that's what I had in the house already. I also made this meal into soft tacos instead of the burritos that the original recipe calls for since I got tortillas that were too small.

The guacamole was also very good. Though I think I may have used too much garlic (did I just say that?)... I doubled the recipe, but I think I could have halved the garlic I used and been good to go.

The homemade tortillas are kind of awesome. I highly recommend trying them. The original recipe calls for corn tortillas, but I only had flour ones. I think the corn ones would have made them even tastier.

Chipotle Black Bean Soft Tacos
A variation on this recipe from Cooking Light


Photobucket

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
3 tablespoons refrigerated fresh salsa
6 flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) pre-shredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
1 1/2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 3)
1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
6 tablespoons light sour cream


Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in chile powder and salt; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/3 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salsa. Partially mash bean mixture with a fork.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about bean mixture into center of each tortilla. Top each serving with about cheese, tomato, lettuce, onions, and sour cream.

**********************************************************

Guacamole

2 ripe peeled avocados, seeded and coarsely mashed
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 small jalapeño, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste


Combine all ingredients and mix well.

**********************************************************

Tortilla Chips
Courtesy of FoodNetwork.com


4 corn tortillas
1 teaspoon canola oil
Salt to taste


Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Lightly brush one side of each tortilla with about 1/4 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Stack the tortillas and cut into 8 wedges; arrange on prepared baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment