Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baked Pumpkin Bread

I'm glad I can finally find canned pumpkin in the grocery store again. I'm planning on processing some fresh pumpkins and sticking a bunch of it in my freezer for over the winter when the canned pumpkin disappears. There are just too many tasty pumpkin recipe out there to miss out on it for so many months out of the year.

This bread is simple and tasty. The buttermilk really makes it moist.

Baked Pumpkin Bread
Courtesy of allrecipes.com


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup solid pack pumpkin puree
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, softened


Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl. Mix in the pumpkin, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg and butter until well blended. Pour into a 9x5 inch loaf pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. Normally you can find canned pumpkin year-round. However this past fall the Libby's farm was flooded, making it impossible for their equipment to harvest the pumpkins. Therefore, a serious canned pumpkin shortage happened! (I know this because I wanted to make a pumpkin cake in July and could not find Pumpkin so I went to their website to see if I could find somewhere that sold it and found out that info.) Glad to know it's available again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for letting me know, Tracy. I thought I had remembered being able to get pumpkin in the "off" season before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this this weekend with my daughter, Hudson. So easy and fun to make and super delicious! I made it a bunch last year, too. Thanks for sharing your recipes, I really appreciate and enjoy your blog. Happy Fall!
    ~ Brigid

    ReplyDelete