Monday, February 7, 2011

Cream Cheese Lasagna

I just can't seem to get used to ricotta in lasagna. I like ricotta in baked goods, but it just doesn't work for me in lasagna. So I'm always on the look-out for lasagnas that use different cheeses. The cream cheese was okay, but I don't think I'll be making it again. It may have been better with the Swiss cheese, but I realized right as I was starting to make it that I hadn't gotten it, so I used some Asiago that I had in the fridge instead. I also only used sausage since we don't do a lot of beef around here. It tasted good, but eh.

Cream Cheese Lasagna
A variation on this recipe from Taste of Home


1 1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
9 no-cook lasagna noodles
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded Asiago cheese


In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef, sausage, onion and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.

Spread 1 cup sauce in a greased 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish. Top with three noodles. Drop a third of the cream cheese by teaspoonfuls over the top. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2/3 cup each of Parmesan and Swiss; spoon a third of the remaining sauce over the top. Repeat layers of noodles, cheeses and sauce twice (dish will be full). Place dish on a baking sheet.

Cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment