Thursday, July 7, 2011

Barb's Gingerbread Cookies

Every Christmas, my mother-in-law makes these incredible gingerbread cookies. I've nicknames them the "crack cookies" because they are seriously addictive. I'm fairly certain I gained about 5 pounds from eating so many of these cookies during one particular Christmas several years back.

In an attempt to keep my children occupied during the weeks when they don't have camp this summer, I put together themes for each week. This week was Holiday Week, and we celebrated Christmas today, so I thought it was time for me to try out my mother-in-law's recipe. I was very nervous, but it is a solid recipe, definitely tried and true, and the cookies came out wonderfully. Benjamin's best friend was over for a playdate to celebrate with us, so they are also especially pretty this time around.

Barb's Gingerbread Cookies

Photobucket

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
½ teaspoon salt


Cream butter, sugar and molasses. Add egg; beat well.

Combine dry ingredients and mix in to molasses mixture until just blended.

Divide dough into 4-5 loose lumps. Roll each lump out to ¼- to ½-inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut into shapes and put on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350°F for 5-5 ½ minutes. Cool on sheet for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired (royal icing, sprinkles, etc.).

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! THanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you through Lynn Grimes and would love to follow you! Are you on facebook or can I follow your posts?

    ReplyDelete