Tuesday, January 24, 2012

20-Ingredient Chili

Blech. I messed this one up, big time. I added way too much spice (I should have listened to the recipe and gone light on the spices the first time I made it), so it ended up being so spicy that I not only broke out in a sweat when I started eating it, but it upset my stomach and gave me a headache. Needless to say, I couldn't finish the bowl that I had served myself, and I didn't even bother serving it to the kids. Jonathan has yet to try it, but at least he'll have a fair warning before subjecting himself to it. Dinner fail.

I'm sharing this recipe anyway in case any of you know someone who really likes spicy food. Or if you know a woman who needs to go into labor. Or if you just want to go lighter on the spices and want to try a new chili recipe. The only things I did really differently were to leave out the chicken and use black beans instead of kidney beans.

20-Ingredient Chili
A variation on this recipe from crockpot365.blogspot.com


Photobucket

1 onion, diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can corn (drained and rinsed)
1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (whole can)
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and grated
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons soy sauce (La Choy and Tamari Wheat Free are gluten free)
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (this has heat, if you are sensitive, start with 1 teaspoon (3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon))
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 cups chicken broth


Use a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add the diced onion, canned beans, tomatoes, chiles, corn, and grated sweet potato to the pot. Now add the mustard, honey, and dried spices. Carefully stir well to distribute spices the best you can. Pour in the chicken broth.

Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Although you could cook this on high in 4 hours, the flavors will meld best when cooked low and slow. Stir very well and serve in a large bowl with your favorite chili toppings, such as shredded cheese and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment