Monday, April 13, 2009

Pizza Sauce and Baked Penne

My title says it all. It's too bad I don't have smell-sharing options on my blog. Since I don't, I'm just going to taunt you into making these dishes yourself.

I made some pizza sauce in preparation for some pizza I want to make later on this week. And I also put together an improvised pasta bake using some leftover marinara that I've had in the freezer for a while. Both came out looking and tasting great. And I'm very happy to say that both concoctions are of my own design. I'm getting better at this making-up-recipes thing.

I've decided to start adding some pictures to my blog since I know I always want to see what the final product looks like before making it. Please forgive my amateur photo skills and messy stove top.

Tomato Pizza Sauce

Photobucket

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes with juice
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt


In large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-low. Add garlic and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add plum tomatoes and tomato paste. Start to break up plum tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Add Italian seasoning.

Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil, continuing to break up tomatoes as they heat up. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Season with salt, to taste.

**********************************************************

Baked Penne with Sausage and Mushrooms

Photobucket

1 pound penne rigate
Salt
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, bulk or links with casings removed
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
3-4 cups marinara, store-bought or homemade
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 1/4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided


Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Heat pot of water over high heat. Salt it and cook pasta according to box directions.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in second pot or large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Remove from pot or skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate covered in paper towels.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to sausage drippings. Add mushrooms and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until browned. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.

Add marinara, drained sausage, Parmesan and parsley to mushrooms and garlic mixture. Drain pasta and add it too. Mix well and heat through.

Put 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese in the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch pan. Put pasta mixture on top and spread evenly. Add the remaining cheese to the top and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment