Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cupcakes for Benjamin

It was my son's 4th birthday on May 6th. And it was quite a fun week of celebrations. One of the celebrations was at preschool, and, of course, I sent in cupcakes. Benjamin requested blue icing and sprinkles, and that's what he got. And all it took was an entire small bottle of blue food coloring to get there.

As for the cupcakes, I found a highly-rated vanilla cupcake recipe on FoodNetwork.com. I already had a good vanilla cream cheese icing recipe that I had used before, so I went with that instead of the icing recipe that accompanies the cupcake recipe. The combination was quite delicious. And the kids all seemed to like it at school. We also had a ton leftover since the recipe actually made 36 rather than 24 cupcakes. It's no wonder my jeans are a bit tight these days...

Happy birthday to my sweet boy! I can't believe it's been 4 years since you entered my life. Thank you for teaching me so much about myself and about life. I love you so much.

Photobucket

Old-Fashioned Cupcakes
Courtesy of Cheryl Day


Photobucket

1 3/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside.

Combine in a bowl both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined for about 3 minutes. Add in cubed butter, mixing until just coated with flour.

Add eggs 1 at a time until combined. Slowly add milk and vanilla to batter until completely mixed scraping down the bowl as you mix.

Scoop batter into baking cups filling about 2/3 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool and then decorate.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
Courtesy of McCormick®


1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box (16 ounces) confectioners' sugar


Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment