Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

We have a family friend who is like an aunt to me and another grandmother to my children. She is particularly fond of the scones I've made in the past, so for Mother's Day, I thought I would show her my appreciation for how generous she's always been to my family and make her a new variety of scones.

I fiddled a bit with the lemon zest ratio in the original recipe since I had found that my previous citrus scone experience had definitely needed that extra kick. But I'm not sure it was better with more. So I'm just putting what I think would work best here. You'll have even tastier scones than we did.

I also noticed that this dough was a lot dryer and didn't need to be refrigerated before I could work with it.

I'm including a variation of the glaze I've used before since the original recipe's glaze is more complicated and, I think, not as tasty.

Edited to add: I just tried the Ina Garten Cranberry Orange scone recipe with modifications to make them Blueberry Lemon scones. And we liked them SO much better than the recipe below. You can find recipe variation on the Cranberry Orange entry. And here they are in all their glory:

Photobucket

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
A variation on this recipe by Tyler Florence


Scones:
2 cups plus 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 lemon, zest finely grated
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones
1 cup fresh blueberries

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus 4 tablespoons
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, more if it's too thick


Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Sift together the dry ingredients: 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in lemon zest. Using 2 forks or a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream. Fold everything together just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough. Toss together blueberries and remaining 1/4 cup flour, then fold into the batter. Take care not to mash or bruise the blueberries because their strong color will bleed into the dough.

Dump the dough onto a well-floured surface and carefully form dough into a ball. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4-inch thick. You should see small bits of butter in the dough. And try to keep the blueberries as intact as possible. Flour a 3-inch round plain or fluted cutter and cut circles of dough. Place the scones on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Collect the scraps neatly, roll them out, and cut more circles.

Place the scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush the tops with a little heavy cream. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until beautiful and brown. Allow the scones to cool for 15 minutes and then whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice, and drizzle over the scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment