Sunday, August 23, 2009

Spicy Black Bean-Corn Casserole

I received a new Cooking Light cookbook from my in-laws for my birthday. It's specifically for slow cooker recipes... So I really shouldn't have been shocked when my father-in-law disappeared after giving me the cookbook and reappeared with a new slow cooker. They have always been very generous about gifts, but when I started to show a love of cooking, they've shown extra generosity in the form of kitchen supplies. They joke that they're reaping the benefits.

This was my first recipe in my new slow cooker. I was extremely pleased -- with the slow cooker and the meal. I made a couple of changes, freshened things up a bit. For example, I used fresh jalapeño peppers in place of canned green chiles. And since I needed fresh corn for another recipe, I just got an extra ear, cut off the corn kernels and then chopped up some red and green peppers in place of the canned version. I also went with an egg instead of the egg substitute.

I can't find the original recipe online, but if you're interested in seeing it and finding lots of other new slow cooker recipes, this is a great cookbook.

Spicy Black Bean-Corn Casserole
A variation on a recipe from Cooking Light Cook's Essential Recipe Collection: Slow Cooker


Photobucket

3 tablespoons diced jalapeños, divided
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ear corn, kernels removed
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red pepper
1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
1 egg
1 8.5-ounce package corn muffin mix
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped bottled roasted red peppers
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican blend or Cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Thinly sliced fresh cilantro


Place 2 tablespoons jalapeños and next 6 ingredients in slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours.

Combine remaining 1 tablespoon jalapeños, egg, muffin mix, milk, and roasted red peppers in a bowl. Spoon batter evenly over bean mixture in cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour or until corn bread is done.

Sprinkle cheese over corn bread. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Top each serving with sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment