Monday, February 8, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I did it! I finally made a chocolate chip cookie that didn't go flat the minute it came out of the oven. I can't tell you how disappointed I've been over the years whenever I'd try a chocolate chip cookie recipe only to have it come out looking and tasting awful. It was especially upsetting when I'd think about how my kids wouldn't think their mom's chocolate cookies were the best (hell yeah I want them to think that!).

But my culinary hero (Alton Brown) came through again. Success! I think the combination of using melted butter, bread flour, and chilling the dough thoroughly really did the trick. I chilled the dough for about 3 hours, though I think just an hour would have been fine. I also only scooped out as much dough as I needed for one tray in the oven at a time and put the rest of the dough back in the refrigerator between batches. I may have been overly cautious, but given how well these came out, I'll be doing that again the next time I make them.

Also, make sure you turn the cookies as the recipe suggests. It really did help get the cookies evenly browned. I did find that my cookies were a little on the burnt side when I baked them for the full 14 minutes, so I just baked them for 7 minutes, turned the pan, and then baked them for another 5 minutes. They came out perfectly that way.

Oh, and these cookies are referred to by Alton Brown as "The Chewy". Very accurately so, I might add.

The Chewy
Courtesy of Alton Brown


Photobucket

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips


Heat oven to 375ºF.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the cookies after 7 minutes for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. A few of these were my birthday gift, and they were awesome! Thanks, Karen (and Alton). ~Liss

    ReplyDelete