Thursday, February 25, 2010

Szechuan-Style Tofu with Peanuts

This is an extremely tasty and SPICY dish. I especially loved the tofu treatment. I think I'll be broiling tofu more often. It really gives it a lovely crispy outside without making it rubbery.

I accidentally doubled the chicken broth in this recipe. I only had 2-cup portions of homemade chicken stock in my freezer, and I didn't want to waste a bunch (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup), so I made chicken broth by using a bouillon cube. Since the cube needs 1 cup of water, I ended up accidentally using the whole thing. It came out so well though, I'm going to modify the recipe I'm writing down here to reflect that change.

Don't get intimidated by the ingredients you may not recognize. They were very easy to find in the grocery store.

Szechuan-Style Tofu with Peanuts
A variation on this recipe by Cooking Light


Photobucket

Jasmine rice
1 (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch pieces
Cooking spray or parchment paper
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
1 tablespoon less-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons black bean garlic sauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces mushrooms
1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped


Preheat broiler.

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

Arrange tofu in a single layer on a foil-lined jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray or lined with parchment paper; broil 14 minutes or until golden, turning halfway through.

While tofu cooks, combine broth and next 4 ingredients (through black bean sauce), stirring with a whisk; set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add salt and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release liquid, stirring occasionally. Stir in carrots and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add broth mixture; turn to high and cook until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat; stir in tofu and onions. Serve over rice; sprinkle with peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment