Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

What a fun twist for a pumpkin pie! It was so tasty and definitely pleased my mom, who isn't usually a huge fan of pumpkin.

This was also my first pumpkin pie using a homemade crust... I like to use graham cracker crusts for pumpkin pies, but I wanted this to be totally homemade since I was using fresh pumpkin and homemade apple butter, so I went with the combination butter and shortening crust that I've used in the past. I was really pleased with the results. I'll still try making a homemade graham cracker crust at some point, but until then, I'll happily use the combination crust.

You will definitely want to put a crust protector or aluminum foil or something to make sure that the crust edges don't burn.

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
Courtesy of Paula Deen


1 cup apple butter
1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
3 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish


Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Combine apple butter, pumpkin, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl. Stir in eggs. Gradually add milk and mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment