Monday, June 14, 2010

Peach Pie

The pie-making continues... And this one was pretty awesome. The peaches tasted wonderful and were really the star of the dish. Jonathan had a hard time not hugging the pie straight out of the oven.

I've realized during this pie-making journey that I haven't always been using the Ina Garten pie crust every time... I had looked up other recipes to see what other people suggested and tried this one. And I think I may like it better. I didn't notice a big difference in the taste, but it's much easier to work with. I'm sure I could probably add a little more water to the Ina Garten crust and make it a little easier to work with, but I think I'll stick with this other one for at least sweet pies since it has a bit more sugar than the Ina Garten one.

Photobucket

Peach Pie
A variation on this recipe from Food Network Magazine


2 1/2 pounds peaches, cut into wedges
3/4 cup light brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter
Heavy cream
Granulated sugar


Place a foil-lined baking sheet on a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 450°F.

Roll out first piece of dough and put in pie pan. Combine the first 8 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl. Pour into pie shell; dot with butter.

Roll out the other piece of dough and place over the filling; press the crust edges together and trim, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Roll up or pinch the overhang to seal.

Wrap an oiled, wide band of foil around the pie edge to protect the crust. Make slashes in the top of the crust; chill for 30 minutes.

Reduce the oven to 400°F. Bake the pie for 30 minutes. Remove the foil band, brush the crust with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes; cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment