Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Low-Fat Strawberry-Cinnamon Muffins

I made these for a play date, and they worked out well. I didn't really taste a lot of the strawberry flavor (or raspberry flavor either, since I had to supplement the strawberry jam with raspberry jam), but that may have had to do with the fact that I mixed the jam in with the wet ingredients rather than putting dollops in the middle of each muffin (I was feeling lazy). I'm including the original recipe directions for the jam, but I do wonder what these would be like with fresh fruit mixed in...

I also used Greek yogurt with some vanilla extract since that's what I had available. I liked how moist and almost spongy the Greek yogurt made the muffins.

Low-Fat Strawberry-Cinnamon Muffins
A variation on this recipe from Cooking Light


Photobucket

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup strawberry jam
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 375°F.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Combine yogurt, butter, milk, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Place 12 cup liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each liner. Top each with 1 teaspoon jam. Top evenly with the remaining batter. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; place on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment