Friday, July 9, 2010

Malted Chocolate Ice Cream

A while back, we went to Bistro On The Brandywine for lunch. We had a delicious meal and then decided to have a little dessert. I was in the mood for some ice cream, so I tried some of their chocolate. It was easily the best chocolate ice cream I'd ever had and asked the waitress if it was homemade. She said it was and that they actually added some Ovaltine to their recipe, giving it a malted flavor that I couldn't quite place until I was told that was what it was.

I decided I had to try this myself, and it was a huge success, if I do say so myself. I'm really enjoying tinkering with the Simple Chocolate Ice Cream recipe that came with my ice cream maker.

Malted Chocolate Ice Cream

Photobucket

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process preferred)
1/2 cup Ovaltine (I used the chocolate malt version)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1-1/2 cups whole milk
3-1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract


Place the cocoa, Ovaltine, and sugars in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Add the whole milk and use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine until the cocoa, Ovaltine, and sugars are dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. If not freezing immediately, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Turn machine on; pour mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 35 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Keep tweaking and we'd be willing to keep tasting! :)

    Just watched "Julie and Julia" again, How did Julie and Eric not gain weight?Do you have Julia Child's book?

    ReplyDelete