Monday, June 7, 2010

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie, Take 2

We were invited to the house of some of our dearest friends for dinner, and since I'm still feeling like I'm a pie kick, I offered to make pie for dessert. A strawberry-rhubarb pie was requested, so I searched out a new, possibly less sweet recipe. And I found, what was decided was, the recipe for the best strawberry-rhubarb ever. It really highlighted the strawberry flavor with a much more appropriate level of sweetness than the last one I made. And having a decent amount of cornstarch made for a thicker filling, which held together beautifully after some refrigeration.

Now on to the next pie... The kick continues... But first, here's the awesome strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe.

I used my tried-and-true pie crust recipe, so I'll just add the filling information that I found here on epicurious.com.

3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds untrimmed)
1 16-ounce container strawberries, hulled, halved (about 3 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)


Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine first 7 ingredients in large bowl. Toss gently to blend.

Roll out 1 dough disk on floured work surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim excess dough, leaving 3/4-inch overhang.

Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Spoon filling into crust. Arrange second dough disc atop filling. Trim excess dough of top crust even with overhang of bottom crust. Fold overhang under, pressing to seal. Crimp edges decoratively.

Brush glaze over crust and transfer pie to baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake pie until golden and filling thickens, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment