Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bobby's Goulash

Yum. I loved goulash when I was little, and now I've passed that love on to my boy. He was already asking for seconds two bites into the bowl I fixed for him. And he told me that Daddy had to make sure to bring some to work for lunch tomorrow. Score.

What I changed from the original recipe was to use all ground turkey. And I did kind of fudge the House Seasoning mixture they have in the original recipe instead of make the whole lot of it. My end result needed a little extra salt. I've adjusted everything accordingly below.

Bobby's Goulash
A variation on this recipe from Paula Deen


Photobucket

2 (20-ounce) packages ground turkey
2 large onions, chopped
3 cups water
1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
2 cups dried elbow macaroni


In a Dutch oven, sauté the ground turkey over medium-high heat, until no pink remains. Break up meat while sautéing; spoon off any grease. Add the onions to the pot and saute until they are tender about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Stir well. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and allow the mixture to sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment