Monday, April 25, 2011

Egg in a Hole

For Easter breakfast, I made some cinnamon buns, bacon, and, in staying with thhe theme of the day, tried my hand at making egg in a hole (a.k.a. egg in the basket). I saw this recipe and thought it looked fun and easy. It was very tasty. I think I'd only had runny eggs one other time in my life (I'm usually a scrambled eggs kind of girl), so if you like sopping up egg yolk with your toast, this is perfect for you.

The original recipe calls for serving the egg in a hole with some berries and yogurt, which I think would go together fabulously. As soon as the berries are in season, I'm totally making the complete recipe.

Here's what our complete breakfast looked like:

Photobucket

Egg in a Hole
A variation on this recipe from Real Simple


Photobucket

2 slices good bread (I used marble rye from Linvilla Orchards)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 large eggs
Kosher salt and pepper


Spread the top of each slice of bread with ¼ tablespoon each of the butter. Using a round cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut a 2½- to 3-inch hole in the center of each slice of bread, reserving the cutout pieces.

Heat the remaining 1½ tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place the bread and the cutouts, buttered-side up, in the skillet. Crack 1 egg into each hole. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until the underside of the bread is golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook the egg to desired doneness, 1 to 2 minutes for a runny yolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment