Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jambalaya with Chicken Andouille

When I started cooking, one of the first things I ever made on a regular basis was jambalaya. It's one-pot and easy. But, given how often we used to have it (I would guess it was about once a week for over a year), I haven't made it in years. When I saw this recipe, I wanted to give it a shot again.

I tweaked the recipe a bit since I couldn't easily find turkey anywhere (weird) but did find some tasty-looking chicken andouille. It made it nice and spicy, which I think my tried and true one from years ago was actually lacking. I do think this could have used a little more liquid since my rice was a bit on the crunchy side. Overall, it was good though.

Jambalaya with Chicken Andouille
A variation on this recipe from Cooking Light


Photobucket

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
I package (12-13 ounces) chicken andouille sausage, chopped
2 tablespoons sliced green onions


Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in bell peppers and next 5 ingredients (bell peppers through black pepper); sauté 1 minute. Add rice; sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add turkey and sausage; cover and cook 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment