Monday, May 16, 2011

Peach-Blueberry Pie

Meh. Not my favorite pie. I don't know if maybe it was because I had to use frozen fruit. Peaches aren't in season, and the blueberries I saw at the market looked pretty sad, so I went with frozen. It was also soupier than I like, and I think that's because of the addition of quick-cooking tapioca rather than cornstarch. I also made this strawberry-rhubarb pie this weekend, it uses cornstarch, and it held together so much better. So I've learned that if you like soupy pie, then go with quick-cooking tapioca. If you're into a more solid pie that holds together better when you cut it, then cornstarch is the way to go.

This was my first try doing a lattice crust. I really enjoyed it! I used this site to help me figure it out.

Peach-Blueberry Pie
Courtesy of Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine


Photobucket

1 1/2 cups sugar
5 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced (6 cups)
12 ounces blueberries (2 cups)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
All-purpose flour for rolling
1 homemade or store-bought double-crust pie dough (I used this)
1 large egg, separated, white lightly beaten
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces


Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, tapioca, and salt. Add peaches, blueberries, and lemon juice and toss to combine; let sit 15 minutes. Lightly flour a rolling rolling pin and work surface and roll out half the dough to a 12-inch round. Place in a 9-inch glass pie plate and brush with egg white. Pour in fruit filling and dot with butter.

Roll out remaining dough to a 12-inch round and place over fruit filling (or do a lattice top). Trim excess and crimp edges to seal. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush top of dough with egg yolk mixture. With a paring knife, cut several small slits on top to vent. Set on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 50 minutes. (Tent loosely with foil if crust browns too quickly.) Let pie cool completely on a wire rack, about 3 hours. (Store, covered, up to overnight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment