Sunday, August 15, 2010

Baked Peaches with Amaretti Stuffing

It's peach season, so it was time for me to try out some peach recipes. I had some leftover amaretti cookies from ages ago, which, thankfully, were still good, so this recipe jumped out at me.

It was simple and good. I think it could have been better with ice cream, but I didn't have any, so I whipped up some cream instead. I'm looking forward to trying out peaches in other dessert recipes while they're so tasty and fresh.

I used apple brandy since that's what I had on-hand, and my peaches took a little longer to soften and for the filling to get brown. But, as I've mentioned before, I'm not sure if that's because of my oven running funny these days. It could also have been because my peaches were on the larger side, so just keep that in mind when you're baking them.

Baked Peaches with Amaretti Stuffing
Courtesy of Italian - The Essence Of Mediterranean Cuisine via EatingOutLoud.com


Photobucket

4 ripe peaches
Juice 1/2 lemon
2/3 cup crushed amaretti cookies
2 tablespoons marsala or brandy
2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg yolk


Preheat the oven to 350°F. Using a sharp knife, cut the peaches in half and remove pits. Do not peel the peaches. Take a small spoon and scoop out a bit of the flesh to enlarge the hollow. Place peaches in a shallow baking dish, cut sides up. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Place crushed amaretti cookies into a bowl and stir in the brandy or marsala (I used brandy). Let this mix sit for a few minutes to soften slightly. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Spoon the cookie mixture into each of the peach halves, mounding it up as needed.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. The topping will be slightly brown and the peaches will be fork tender.

Serve warm or at room temperature with freshly whipped cream or a generous scoop of ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment