Friday, August 20, 2010

Lemony Orzo-Veggie Salad with Chicken

This is a great summer dish for a lighter dinner or a super contribution to a picnic. Using rotisserie chicken makes the prep really easy.

Lemony Orzo-Veggie Salad with Chicken
Courtesy of Cooking Light


Photobucket

3/4 cup uncooked orzo
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
1/2 cup English cucumber, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese


Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain and place in a large bowl.

While orzo cooks, combine lemon rind and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper), stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle juice mixture over orzo; toss to coat. Add chicken and next 4 ingredients (through dill); toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with cheese.

4 comments:

  1. When I think rotisserie chicken, I think fat. I've never actually HAD one. A lot of people say to use them as a quick alternative, but how healthy are they in the grand scheme of things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't eat the skin, rotisserie chickens aren't fattening. But I'm definitely a little picky about where I get them. Some places put a lot of sugar into them, so I try to find ones that have only the "normal" additional ingredients (spices, vegetables, a little oil or butter, etc.). I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you buy the pre-cooked ones from the deli? I saw that Jenny-o makes frozen birds that you just pop in the oven in the bag. have you tried those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I get the ones that they just roasted at the grocery store. I've never tried the frozen ones though. I wonder if they would have more preservatives in them?

    ReplyDelete