Monday, August 29, 2011

Cheese Biscuits

Oh my goodness, these are awesome. I ate way too many of them with dinner tonight, but really, biscuits are just not the same the day after, so why not finish the plate of them, right?

They suggest all sorts of variations of these on the webpage. I went with the Parmesan cheese and chives variation. And I added some fleur de sel on top since that's what I had. I'm thinking I may need to pick up some of that pink Himalyan salt from Terrain the next time I'm there. That would add some more fun to these fabulous biscuits.

I also tweaked the wet ingredients a bit since I don't like buying containers of buttermilk. I never seem to use all of it before it goes bad, and it frustrates me. So I went with the Greek yogurt and whole milk that were in my fridge. These were so good, these changes will definitely be used from now on.

Cheese Biscuits
A variation on this recipe from Simply Recipes


Photobucket

2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Dash of cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons baking powder
7 tablespoons butter, cold
2 tablespoons chives
3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 cup whole milk
Kosher, Maldon, Fleur de Sel, or Black salt for topping (optional; not table/iodized salt)


Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cayenne, black pepper, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Dice the butter into small pieces. If they get too warm then place them in a bowl and put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes before continuing. Toss the diced butter with the flour mixture until well coated. (Again, if into tossing the butter gets hot in your hands place the whole mixture in the freezer for a few minutes.) Add the chives and cheese and toss until well coated.

Add the yogurt and milk and mix with a spoon until it just comes together.

Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead once or twice; no more. Form into an 8x8-inch square and cut into 2x2-inch squares and top with a bit of high-quality salt if using. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment