Thursday, August 25, 2011

Creamy Chicken Salad

In an effort to make sure Benjamin doesn't go to school every day with a cheese sandwich or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I found some fun meal ideas through Cooking Light. This particular recipe is from their suggested "The Pita Pocketeer" menu. I'm thinking I may substitute the pita for some Wheat Thins since I'm fairly certain Benjamin would make a giant mess trying to eat this chicken salad in a pita. But I'll have to make sure to add the Hershey's Kisses to his lunchbox when I pack this chicken salad... I made the mistaken of telling him before I made the chicken salad that the suggested menu included the Kisses and then forgot to get some. You can imagine his disappointment and insistence that they be included next time...

This recipe is indeed very creamy. But the addition of the Greek yogurt helps to make sure you don't feel like you're just drowning in mayo. I didn't change anything about the ingredients in the salad, but I did use a different poaching method. For some reason, thinking about poaching chicken in plastic wrap just gives me the heebie jeebies, so I went with Alton Brown's method.

First more interesting option added to the school lunch menu! Woot!

Creamy Chicken Salad
A variation on this recipe from Cooking Light


Photobucket

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, poached and shredded
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
7 tablespoons (about 2 ounces) coarsely chopped smoked almonds
6 cups mixed salad greens


Combine mayonnaise and the next 7 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until combined. Add chicken, 1/3 cup celery, cranberries, and almonds; toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve over salad greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment