Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Corn Tortilla Chips

I've discovered that I don't really care for store-bought corn tortillas. I find them incredibly dry and tasteless. So since I had some in the fridge, I thought I'd try making them into chips. And YUM! I highly suggest following the recipe note about leaving them in the oven with it turned off for a few more minutes to make them crispier. You can see the not as crispy version on my Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad post. They were chewier like that. But just a few more minutes made them nice and crunchy.

The ones I made just had kosher salt sprinkled on them, but I'll definitely try some of the spice suggestions they have in the recipe.

Healthy Baked Corn Tortilla Chips
Courtesy of Food.com


Photobucket

Corn tortillas
Kosher salt


Preheat oven to 400°F.

Stack tortillas one on top of the other and use kitchen sizzors to cut them into 4 slices like you would cut up a pizza.

Spread them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet (not air-bake), spacing them at least 1/4" apart (they will be chewy instead of crispy if not spaced properly). (NOTE: If you must use an air-bake pan, try 350°F for 20 minutes.).

Shake salt and desired toppings over tortillas.

TOPPING OPTIONS (choose any combo): SPICES: paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder (sparingly), cayenne pepper (sparingly, will add heat!). CHEESES: grated parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, etc. or try SWEET: cinnamon & sugar.

Bake 8-12 mins or until chips are starting to get crispy and slightly golden brown at the edges (check every 1-2 minutes after 8 mins).

Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 mins before serving in order to let them fully crispen. Extra Crispy: put back in turned off oven at least 10 mins or until ready to serve for extra crispy and warm chips (watch them, you may need to leave oven door cracked to prevent over browning).

No comments:

Post a Comment