Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Perfect French Toast

I used some leftover challah that I had in the freezer (defrosted in the fridge overnight) to make this french toast. It was very good. Not overly sweet (especially because we used pure maple syrup), and the challah gave it an extra boost of flavor and a great texture. I also felt like putting the toast in the oven after sautéing it made it so that it wasn't floppy like some other french toasts I've had/made. I'm sure slicing the bread thick didn't hurt either.

I think it probably could have used a little more nutmeg or maybe pumpkin pie spice? We'll see for next time. I know I'll be making it again.

Perfect French Toast
A variation of this recipe from Food Network Magazine


Photobucket

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups half-and-half or milk
1/2-3/4 teaspoon nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of salt
Butter
Thick slices of challah, brioche, or white bread
Maple syrup


Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Whisk eggs, half-and-half or milk, spices, vanilla extract, sugar and salt in a shallow bowl.

Heat butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, dip bread in the egg mixture and cook in the skillet until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side, adding more butter as needed. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until puffed, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle the French toast with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment