Friday, September 28, 2012

Onion Soup with Loads of Thyme and Giant Gruyère Crostini

This was my first attempt at French Onion Soup, and it was very good, if I do say so myself. I would love to say that I enjoyed it on a chilly Fall day, but I really made it out of frustration with the lingering humidity that will not leave us alone. I will make it again though, and hopefully when I won't have to sweat my way through its preparation.

This recipe was from a cooking for two recipe book, so since I doubled the recipe, I'm accounting for that here.

Onion Soup with Loads of Thyme and Giant Gruyère Crostini
A variation on this recipe from Cooking for Two: Perfect Meals for Pairs

Frenchonionsoup01

2 pounds yellow onions, halved and thinly cut lengthwise
8-10 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh cracked pepper
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups beef stock
2 cups water
Ciabatta bread, sliced to fit crocks or ramekins
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups grated Swiss Gruyère cheese 

In a heavy 5-quart pot melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions, thyme, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the onions are deep amber and exceedingly soft, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes. 

Add the flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the wine, increase the heat, and let the wine bubble away for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beef stock and water, and let the soup simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
 
Preheat the oven to broil. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. 

Place the ciabatta on the middle rack of the oven and toast until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. 

Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the soup and discard. Pour the soup into ovenproof bowls, float the toasted ciabatta on top, and cover it with a thick layer of the Gruyère. Put the soup bowls under the broiler on the middle rack and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment