Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Fettuccine with Fennel and Sausage

When I made this, I wasn't expecting Benjamin to try it. He rarely tries anything I make because it's either "too spicy" or "too messy". But when he saw what I was making, he was convinced it was spaghetti and meatballs and announced that he loves spaghetti and meatballs. I don't remember the last time he ate spaghetti and meatballs, so I'm not entirely sure where that came from. But I wasn't about to argue. He ate it and he liked it, despite its definite messy nature. I knew I was going to like this, but finding something that even Benjamin likes makes this dish an enormous success.

I substituted the spicy Italian sausage for a sweet Italian sausage. This obviously helped in getting Benjamin to eat it. I also took out the oil altogether. After browning the sausage, the veggies had plenty of fat to sauté them properly.

The only other change was that I doubled the amount of sausage and fettuccine that the original recipe calls for. I didn't want to only use half a package of sausage, but I should have used only half of the fettuccine. I now have a container of plain fettuccine in my fridge since it just would have been way too much pasta to have added it all. At least I know for next time.

I'll add the recipe as I think it should be, though not necessarily how I did it or how it was originally. So yours will come out even better than mine did.

Fettuccine with Fennel and Sausage
A variation on this recipe from BettyCrocker.com


8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1 pound bulk Italian pork sausage
1 medium sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
1 medium fennel bulb, cut into thin wedges
1 medium yellow or red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained
1/2 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese


Cook and drain pasta as directed on box. Return to saucepan; keep warm.

Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain; remove sausage from skillet.

In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, fennel, bell pepper and garlic in oil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until vegetables are crisp-tender.

Add tomatoes and cooked sausage to vegetables. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Stir in pasta; heat until hot. Sprinkle individual servings with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment