Monday, March 30, 2009

Pizzagna

I love this dish. Jonathan hasn't liked it when I've made it before because the original recipe calls for pepperoni, and he's apparently not keen on pepperoni when it's not on a pizza. (Yeah, I know... I don't know what's wrong with him...) So I'm trying it without the pepperoni. I'll let you know what I think of it after I try it tonight. I have a feeling it's going to taste just as wonderful. It certainly smelled that way.

Edited to add: Jonathan did like this version better but suggested maybe I try adding sausage next time. I'm not sure I've met a sausage dish I don't like, so I think it's a good suggestion.

Edited to add again: The photo I've added is the dish with 1 pound of mild sausage added (I cooked it separately, let it drain a bit on a paper-towel-lined plate, and then added it to the vegetable mixture before putting it in the oven). YUM.

Pizzagna
A variation on this recipe by Rachael Ray

Photobucket

1 pound pasta curls (recommended: campagnelle by Barilla; short fusilli or cavatappi twists may be substituted)
Salt
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Handful parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 green bell pepper, seeded, quartered and thinly sliced
1 onion, quartered then thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
12 cremini mushrooms (baby portabellos), thinly sliced
Black pepper
1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
8 ounces shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

Preheat broiler.

Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and salt the water.

While the water boils combine ricotta, Parmesan and parsley in a large bowl and reserve.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. When the oil is hot, add the peppers, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté 6 to 8 minutes until tender and mushrooms are dark. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and reduce heat to low.

Add a ladle of starchy cooking water to the ricotta just before you drain the pasta. Drain pasta then toss with ricotta and pepperoni mixture. Pour pasta into a baking dish and top evenly with peppers, onion and mushroom sauce. Top with a layer of mozzarella, oregano and red pepper flakes. Place under hot broiler and melt cheese until golden and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment