Monday, March 2, 2009

Creamy Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Coffee Ice Cream

Today is my husband's 30th birthday. We were away last weekend, celebrating with our friends in the Poconos, so tonight's dinner was going to be a bit modified anyway... But Mother Nature decided to give my husband a giant snowstorm for his birthday, so the meal has become even more modified. I had the makings for a meal that I didn't get to a couple of weeks ago -- Creamy Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken Breasts. And for dessert, a non-egg-based coffee ice cream to go with the delicious One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes that my mother-in-law made for him while caring for our son last weekend.

I will be back to comment on the chicken after we've had it, but the little taste I had of the coffee ice cream as I was putting it away in the freezer was really good. Definitely less intense than the other coffee ice cream I've made. And I'm definitely going to try topping it with the chocolate sauce I still have in my fridge. Or may use some of those extra chocolate-covered espresso beans I still have somewhere in my pantry.

Edited to add: The chicken was really tasty. Definitely a good meal to make when you're having guests who like simple, non-spicy food.

The ice cream was a different story... It tasted too much like Kahlua. I'm either going to omit it or use less the next time.


Edited to add (4/7/12): I took the Kahlua out of the ice cream, which helped, but I think I should also cut down on the almond extract. It tastes more like almond extract than coffee with the 2 teaspoons. I've adjusted the amount in the recipe below. Here's hoping that's better.

Creamy Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Courtesy of Kraft Foods


1 package (6 ounces) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 cup water
6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) 98% fat-free condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese


Heat oven to 400ºF.

Combine stuffing mix and water in large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pound chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. Add broccoli to stuffing; mix lightly. Spread onto chicken to within 1/2 inch of edges; roll up starting at one short end of each.

Place, seam-sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish. Mix soup and milk; pour over chicken. Top with paprika and cheese.

Bake 30 minutes or until chicken is done (165ºF).

**********************************************************

Coffee Ice Cream
A variation on this recipe by Cuisinart


1 1/2 cups whole milk, chilled
1 1/8 cups granulated sugar
3-5 tablespoons instant espresso powder (to taste)
3 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


In a medium mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the milk, granulated sugar and espresso powder until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and extracts.

Turn the machine on; pour the mixture into freezer bowl, and let mix until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment