Thursday, March 5, 2009

Layered Enchilada Bake

We have a few very busy weekends coming up, so I'm cooking during the week. *GASP!* It's a bit harder since the kids are running around while I'm trying to do something productive (a near-impossible feat, indeed), so I'm going with easier meals... Such as this really yummy one.

I've made this several times before and am switching things up a bit. I've always substituted ground turkey for the ground beef since we're not big beef-eaters. I tried it before with homemade Italian dressing, and it was good (I'm using store-bought this time). And I used to put the sour cream in, like the original recipe calls for, but it made it kind of goopy. So, upon my husband's request, I'm just going to use the sour cream as garnish.

This is also really good to make ahead of time. Once assembled, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat it, you just bake it at 400ºF, covered, for 1 hour. Then, remove foil, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.

Layered Enchilada Bake
A variation on this recipe from Kraft Foods


1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
6 flour tortillas (8-inch)
1 cup sour cream
1 package (8 ounces) Mexican-style finely shredded cheese


Heat oven to 400ºF. Brown meat with onions in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add salsa, beans, dressing and seasoning mix; mix well.

Arrange 3 tortillas in single layer on bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; cover with layers of 1/2 each of the meat mixture and cheese. Repeat all layers. Cover with foil.

Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment