Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sugar Cookies

I thought it was comical that Benjamin's class was having a St Patrick's Day party. I figure it was just an excuse to have a party. And why not? We're all getting tired of winter and need a pick-me-up. Why not get dressed up in green and eat green-colored treats?

I was a bit silly and volunteered to make cookies for the party... Not like I didn't have enough party preparation recently, right? I made this sugar cookies recipe that had been posted on my May Mommies board 2 Christmases ago. Yes, I'm on a board with all of the women with whom I was pregnant with Benjamin, and we're still all (mostly) together. It's been such a lovely experience getting to know these women. We have our differences, but we also have each other's backs. I never knew I'd be able to make such good friends on the internet.

So here's my friend Linda's niece's sugar cookie recipe. I'm not a giant fan of sugar cookies, but this is definitely a tasty recipe. With or without the icing.

Sugar Cookies

Cookies:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar


Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter. Sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place on cookie sheet.

Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

Icing:
3/4 cups shortening (Crisco)
1/2 stick butter, softened.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 pound powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
Milk


Mix the butter and shortening together with electric mixer, then add the extracts and mix. Then add 1-2 cups of the powdered sugar then mix very well. If stiff, add some milk. Then add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix, then the rest of the powdered sugar and mix. The more milk you add, the thinner the icing will become, so that's just whatever your preference is.

No comments:

Post a Comment